Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Author 2.4

The weeks following Carlotta's departure were rough. She called a few times before I finally answered, she wanted to come by  to get her things. I told her to take the bedroom set, I didn't want to ever see it or her again. I filed for divorce, and she readily signed the papers, ready to be done with us. She moved in with Uriah soon after, and I was left to raise Izzy alone.I was a mess, I hadn't written anything in a while, if not for mom's income I don't think we would have made it. I put everything that I had into raising Izzy.

Mom's birthday came and went, neither of us felt like celebrating. To get my mind off my failed marriage, I threw myself into painting. At first I was horrible, but as time went by I got better and soon I was making a bit of money from my work.

The next few years past in a blur, and before I knew it Izzy was off to school, she had loved to watch me paint when she was younger, so I bought her her very own easel. We set it up right next to mine and we would spend hours painting together. 



I love my little girl, I gave her everything I could, she was my little princess. She had quite the artistic streak and soon her paintings were selling for more than mine. Mom doted on her just as much as I did, she loved Izzy, and I don't think I would have made it through the divorce with out her.

Carlotta never made any attempt to have a relationship with Izzy, though I heard she and Uriah had a baby girl together, I never told Izzy, knowing it would crush her to find out.


Life fell into a pleasant routine, I painted while Izzy was at school, then helped her with her homework when she got home, followed by dinner, then more painting with Izzy, a bedtime story, then bed. Life was good.

One day I got a call from a woman named Shirley Lin, she was a doctor, and had gotten my number from a friend to see about commissioning a painting.
I met her at the diner to make it a bit less formal. To paint a proper painting I had to get to know the client. "So what kind of painting were you looking for?" I asked Shirley. "Well I want something modern, yet with a classic feel." She said between bites. She was beautiful, and I couldn't help but notice. "Do I have food on my face?" She asked, realising I had been staring. "umm...no, sorry I shouldn't have been staring, you must think I'm weird." I stammered. "It's alright, I've kinda been staring at you too." She said while blushing. We ended up staying out all night just talking. She was divorced as well, with two teenage sons. Her husband kicked her out, and the boys decided to stay with their dad, so she didn't get to see them often.

We had been dating for almost a year and I knew I was in love. I never thought I'd feel this way again, but I knew  I needed to talk to Izzy before I took the next step . "Izzy, we need to talk" I said as we sat down for dinner. "About what daddy?" She said. "Well" I started, "You know I Shirley and I have been seeing alot of each other, and I wanted to know what you think of her?" I asked. "She's okay" Izzy replied as she took another bite. "Would you be okay with her becoming a part of our family" I asked finishing my last bite. Izzy just stared at me for a moment then jumped out of her chair squealing, "Yes! Yes! A new mom!" I couldn't help but laugh, glad she was happy with the idea.
That evening I invited Shirley over for dinner, as soon as we were done Izzy gathered up the dishes saying " I'll do these, you have important things to discuss" what's she talking  about?" Shirley asked confused. "Well" I started, taking Shirley's hand "I never thought I'd fall in love again, but I have, and I never want to spend a moment away from you. Will you marry me?" She stood still for a moment, then very softly I heard "yes. Yes I will".





3 comments:

  1. aww yay. I'm glad things have gotten on track for Ryu. Izzy is a cute girl. She's going to be a heartbreaker when she gets older.

    Congrats to Ryu and Shirley on their engagement. I'm sure he'll have a much happier marriage this time around and Izzy already loves her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well congrats. Things seem to be getting better for Ryu since the divorce. Has he switched from being a writer to being an artist?

    ReplyDelete
  3. His lifetime wish was to master both writing and painting, so he does both, but writing was his main focus for a while.

    ReplyDelete