Thursday, June 2, 2016

Rebel 3.13

Nathaniel came over the following weekend, and spent all day Saturday at the house.  On one hand it was nice having him back, on the other, we both had changed so much that we were virtually strangers to each other. He spent equal time with the kids, listening to their stories of growing up, though when Berlin told how we didn't have much when they were little, you could almost see tears in his eyes. He played basketball with Tanner, who I'm sure was glad to have someone to play against that was actually a challenge. Where Tanner welcomed his father with open arms, Berlin was more reserved  preferring to keep to her self while Nathaniel was over.
When Nathaniel decided it was time to leave, I walked him out. "You've got great kids Izzy. You should be proud of them." I didn't want him to go, but I knew we needed to take things slow. He turned to look at the house and grounds before turning back to me and smiling "You did it, this is what you always dreamed of. I'm proud of you too." "Thanks" I squeaked out, barely having a voice. He leaned in and gave me a kiss on the cheek before getting in the car and leaving. I headed back in to find Berlin watching me from the doorway. "You can talk to him you know." I said as I came inside. "Yea, I know." She said as she went upstairs. I followed soon after.

Nathaniel called almost every night, and he and I stayed up long into the night talking. I told him all about raising the kids and he would tell me about his life as Philip, at time I felt so sorry for him, being Philip was the only life he had known for so long and to have it ripped away..I just couldn't imagine. He would also spent a considerable amount of time talking with the kids. Seeing how great he was with them made me even sadder that he didn't get to be there for them from the beginning, but he was definitely making up for it.

We also started "dating", going out one a week, just the two of us. I would tell him stories of our time in college, and the trips we took after graduation, he remembered bits and pieces of his past, but not much, so I would help him fill in the blanks.

Nathaniel had been back almost a year, the kids were getting ready to graduate, and one night Nathaniel took me to the beach, where we walked in silence for a while. "Isabella," Nathaniel said breaking the silence "I love you, I hate that I ever forgot you, and that I missed out on so much of our life together, but I want to spend the rest of my life with you, will you marry me again?" he said as he got down on one knee and produced the most beautiful ring. I stood there for a minute staring at Nathaniel's perfect face, and finally I said " yes, with all of my heart, yes I will marry you. For good this time" He couldn't help but laugh at that last part. He pulled me in for a kiss and said "I love you."


When we got back to the house I told the kids, both of whom were thrilled, Berlin started making plans for the wedding, which was fine with me, I wasn't much of a planner.

Graduation came and with it my little ones were all grown up and ready to make their way in the world. Neither one planned to go to college, instead Berlin planned to become a composer, Tanner had no real plans yet, but I had hopes that he'd figure it out soon. Nathaniel and I got married, a small wedding with just us and the kids in attendance. We planned to travel the world, and just enjoy our time together. Berlin wanted to move to Bridgeport, but I was hesitant to let her move by herself, so Tanner decided to move with her. Both of my kids were off to start the next chapter of their lives. 

No comments:

Post a Comment