Thursday, July 21, 2016

Composer 4.2

~Berlin~
I was steadily progressing at work, life for me was pretty routine, get up, clean the house, feed the dogs, go to work, come  home put in a few additional hours online, the bed.

I worked hard, Tanner partied hard. After working  for only a year there was an audition with the orchestra, I didn't get in to the full orchestra, but I did get in with a quartet, which was a start. I was so excited to tell Tanner the good news, but when I got home he was sitting on the couch staring into space. I could tell something was wrong, so I walked over and sat down next to him.


"Spill." I said. He looked at he and I could tell it was serious. "I messed up. I messed big time." Thinking he was in trouble with the law, I told him "Don't worry, we'll fix it. How much do you need? " He just stared at me for a minute, coming to the same conclusion that I had. "What? No, not that kind of trouble. I wish it was that kind of trouble." Confused I asked "Then what kind-" I didn't get to finish as Tanner blurted out "I got a girl pregnant, I was careless, we were drunk. It was just once." I was speechless, I knew Tanner was having 'fun' but I thought he was smarter than that. "What am I going to do?" He asked. A million comments swirled around in my head, both good and bad when I finally said, "Suck it up." "What?" He asked shocked at my comment. "Suck it up, be a man. You knocked her up? Well that was stupid, now you have to live with it, so man up. Fun's over, time to be responsible." I think my statement surprised both of us. "It's not that easy, Berlin! We haven't been dating that long , what do you expect me to do, marry the girl?"



Tanner was off the couch yelling at me now, so I yelled back. "Do you want your kid to grow up without a father like you did? Cause that's what will happen. You need to talk to her, and figure things out." I walked off too mad to hear his response. I still had so many more questions for him, but now was not the time. I went to my office and started working on a new piece for the piano I was working on. Several hours passed, and I went into the kitchen to get a snack, where I ran into Tanner. He apologized for yelling at me, and I asked him the questions I still had. What was her name, had he told mom yet, when did I get to meet her? Her name was Emily, and yes he told mom, who was even madder than I was,  offering to move back and help him figure things out. Fortunately he told her no, I would have smacked him if he had said yes, mom was finally living her dream after years of sacrifices for our sake.



No comments:

Post a Comment