Thursday, December 8, 2016

Composer 4.12

~Berlin~

Who ever decided you had to wait forty-eight hours to report someone missing was an idiot. As soon as Charity had been missing long enough I called to police back and filed an official report. I was told a detective would be sent over to interview me. I waited for what seemed hours before the detective   arrived at my house. I invited him in and we sat in the living room. He introduced himself as Michael Thompson.






"Mrs. Wright." detective Thompson began

 "It's miss, I'm not married."

"My apologies, miss Wright. What can you tell me about Charity's disappearance?"

I told him about our fight, how we hadn't spoken for several days, but that she wouldn't run away. I suppose he thought I was her mother, since he asked if her father was in the picture. "No he's not. Neither is her mother." That got a strange look from him so I explained that I was her aunt and both her parents were deceased. He asked if she had a boyfriend, to which I answered no. He asked for a list of her friends so I gave him the few names that were her friends.

He looked through her room for clues, though he found none. Once he was done he thanked me for my time and left.

 I wasn't sure what to with myself, so I went into my office and started playing, as I played the notes turned into a melody that was both sad and beautiful at the same time. I quickly wrote down what I had been playing. I stayed in there for hours the barking of the dogs finally broke my concentration, they needed food. After I fed the dogs I sat back down in the living room and was overwhelmed by my thoughts, my regrets. What if I never saw Charity again? I was filled with regret, I thought back to all the times I had place work first, now I had my career, at what cost? I had lost everyone I cared about. I cried. I cried for charity, for Tanner, for all the birthday's I had missed because my stupid career was more important.

Upon waking up the next morning I had come to a decision, I was going retire and focus on bringing Charity home, even if it took everything I had I would see her returned to me. I finished my piece the following week, I had planned on selling it, but it was too personal, so I kept it.  I told my job what had happened and that I was taking a leave of absence, they were all very supportive telling me to let them know if I needed anything. I never realized until that moment just how empty that phrase really was. Did I need anything? Yea. I needed my Daughter back.

1 comment: