Tuesday, December 20, 2016

Composer 4.13

~Charity~

I opened my eyes to the most wonderful sight. I saw a man with the most beautiful wings standing over me. "Am I dead? Is this heaven?" I asked the winged man. "No to both" he said. Oh, I had thought last night that James had surely killed me. I was so tired and in so much pain."What's wrong with me?" I asked when I realized I could barely move. The man just looked at me and went back to what ever he was mixing up. "Will you answer me, please?" I asked.  "Do you speak to your food?" he asked. I was a bit confused. "What?" He sighed and spoke as if he was speaking to a child. "You are food, I don't speak to food, do you?" Food? what did he mean by that? OH! That's when it hit me, James was a vampire and they...fed....on...humans. Once he had finished mixing up what ever it was he came over to me, I moved back towards the wall wincing as I did so. Was this man going to hurt me too? He held out the mixture "Drink." I was afraid not to, so I drank the strange concoction. I immediately felt better, I thanked him as I handed the bottle back. "so what are you?" I asked. "I'm Fae" he said as if it should be obvious. He headed out of my cell locking the door behind him. I lay back on the pallet that was on the floor and looked around, except for the faint glow of candlelight from beyond my cell, I was surrounded by darkness.

I couldn't believe vampires and fae? fairies? were real. All this time I had thought they were just stories, made up to entertain children. I felt someone watching me as I lay there. I looked over to see the winged man staring at me. When he realized I had seen him he disappeared  around the corner and I was alone once more. I was intrigued by him. Who was he? Why was he here?

I was startled awake by the creaking of my cell door. James was back. I scrambled to my feet and as far back as I was able to go, which wasn't very far. This time he wasn't alone. "Come here my dear, don't be afraid." James said. "Go away! Leave me alone!" I yelled as loud as I could.  He and the other vampire just laughed as they advanced. They each grabbed one of my arms and led me back to the pallet of the floor. "Please don't do this." I pleaded through my tears. They lowered me to the floor so I was sitting between the two of them, and they each took one of my arms, lowered their heads and sunk their teeth in. I begged the whole time for them to stop, but they wouldn't listen. When they were finished they let me go and I slumped to the floor like a rag doll. I watched them leave, tears slowly falling down my face. Was this to be my life? To stay here and be food for monsters?

The following morning the winged man was back, this time I just lay there as he entered the room with his concoctions. He went to work cleaning my wounds and applying some form of paste to them. "Why do you do this, why not just let me die?" I asked. "It is my job to care for the humans, as long as they are here." He answered. "How long is that?" I needed to know. "Depends. Some are with us longer than others." He said handing me something to drink. I couldn't lift it to my mouth, so he helped me. I glanced up at him as he lifted the liquid to my mouth, he had the most beautiful eyes. They were a pale grey, like the sky just before it snows. His eyes caught mine and for a moment we just sat there. "I must go." he said as he got up. "Wait." I said grabbing his hand "Tell me your name, please." "Malakai" he said pulling his hand free and walking away once more. I was so tired, laying my head back down I fell into a dreamless sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment