Friday, August 12, 2016

Composer 4.6

~Berlin~

I rushed  through the doors of the ER and headed straight for the nurses desk. " I'm looking for my brother and his wife. Tanner and Emily Wright." I said as I walked up. "Please have a seat, and the doctor will be out to talk to you shortly." The nurse said pointing towards the waiting area. I didn't want to have a seat and wait, I wanted to know what happened, but I sat down anyway. The call that I thought was mom turned out to be the police letting me know that Tanner and Emily had been in an accident, both of them had been rushed here along with the driver from the car they hit. All I had been told was to get here as son as I could, so I threw on some clothes and caught a cab here.





I sat, I paced, I sat some more.



I had been waiting almost an hour when I saw the doctor headed my way. "Wright?" he said. I jumped up out of my chair and met him half way. "Have a seat" he said motioning to the chair I had just vacated. "I'm afraid I have some bad news, your brother had severe internal injuries,and though we tried all our efforts he didn't make it, I'm sorry" I felt like someone had reached into my chest and pulled out my heart, Tanner was dead. "What about Emily and the baby?" I asked though I didn't want to know the answer. "Emily was rushed for an emergency c-section in an attempt to save the baby, but we couldn't stop the bleeding and she died in surgery. The baby was delivered and is in the NICU. When you are ready I'll have someone take you up."

I just sat there, I heard what he said but all I could think was my brothers dead. I didn't know what to do next, I was numb. I don't know how long I sat there, but I finally decided that I needed to see the baby. I walked back over to the nurses desk and asked to see the baby, the nurse showed me the way.

Standing outside of the NICU, I really wasn't sure what to do, after standing there a few minutes, the doctor  came out to speak to me. "Can I help you?" "Yea, I'm here to see my niece? Nephew? Sorry they didn't tell me if it was a boy or girl." I said realizing I didn't even ask the other doctor. "What's the last name?" the doctor asked.  "Wright." I answered. "Oh" He started "It's a girl, I'll take you to see her. Don't be alarmed by all the monitors, she was very early, only thirty weeks. She is on a respirator since her lungs are underdeveloped, we gave her some medicine to help mature them." I just nodded and followed him.

He led me to an incubator with the tiniest little baby in side, she was hooked up to all kinds of wires and tubes, I wasn't really sure what I was supposed  to be feeling. I didn't stay long telling the staff I needed to get home, make arrangements for my brother. On the way out I asked the doctor what was going to happen to the baby. "When she gets big enough, I suppose you get to take her home." His answer was something that hadn't even considered. It was all too much, I couldn't deal with this right now. I felt like I was walking through fog, I don't remember going home but here I was. Walking through the house that's when it hit me, They were gone, this was it, it was just me now. I walked into Tanner's room and sat down on the bed. Seeing all his things, I couldn't hold it in any longer, I fell to my knees and I cried. I cried harder than I thought it was possible, I cried till I had nothing left to cry. I managed to pull myself up onto the bed where I fell asleep.


No comments:

Post a Comment