Thursday, March 2, 2017

Fae 5.1

"Charity wake up!" My eyes shot open to find Kai shaking me awake. He pulled me into a hug "It's just a nightmare, he's gone." I was holding on to him so tight, trying to calm myself down. "Okay, I'm okay" I said a few minutes later releasing his grip on me. "Was it the same dream?" He asked concerned. "Yea, same one." I said. I had been having nightmares about James. I hadn't had a decent night's sleep since we escaped, most of the time I slept during the day since  I was afraid to go to sleep at night fearing I would wake up to find myself back in that cage. "You know he can never hurt you again, you're safe now"  "I know" I said laying back down, but never really going to sleep. 


We had been living here for almost a month and so far the only person who spoke to us was Martin. He got Kai a job,  and came by nearly every day to check-in on us. Neither Kai nor myself felt welcome here. We tried to make friends, and fit in, but it was obvious that no one wanted us here. I asked Martin about this one day and he told me that it had been decided long ago to never speak of the Vampires again. Everyone living here believed that the Vampires no longer existed. Our being here had caused them to be faced with the lie they had created. Needless to say they made our lives very difficult.

After six months we were miserable living there. I had to start growing our own food since no one would do business with me. Kai had a job, he was a laborer who worked nights. With him gone at night I really didn't sleep, I hated being alone in the dark.



 I missed my Aunt, and started to resent Kai for changing me. We had a horrible fight one day and Kai stormed out of the house slamming the door so hard the windows rattled. While he was gone I just sat and cried.





Kai still wasn't home when I crawled into bed, when he did get home I felt him slip under the covers with me and wrap his arms around me. The next morning I apologized, and so did he. "We're leaving here tonight" Kai said. "What? Where will we go?" I asked confused. "I went to Martin last night and asked him for help. Seeing that we don't fit in here, he agreed to help  us leave. There is another world where some Fae -mainly those who are exiled from here- live, but they may be more accepting than those who live here. We must leave tonight though, as Martin is leaving on a mission for the Council and no one will notice us slipping through the portal" I didn't know what to say, it was a lot to take in at once. "Okay" I said at last. Not at all eager to stay here. We spent the day preparing to leave, packing our few belongings. Night fell at last and Martin showed us to the portal and bid us farewell. I took Kai's hand and together we stepped through.

On the other side I was amazed at what I saw, it was beautiful! Though we had left at night, here the sun was shining. We made our way to the town, apprehensive that we would be greeted the same as last time. We were greeted by various townspeople, all of whom smiled and waved at us. When we got to the square the entire town had turned up to meet us. After being greeted by everyone, the leader of the town, Julien, led us to our new home. Our new home was much nicer than our last. It was a modest three bedroom house, with plenty of land. Julien told Kai that he would be back later in the day to check on us. For the first time in months I smiled.

No comments:

Post a Comment