Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Chef 1.7

High school started and Pretty soon it was apparent that it was no challenge for Ryu, he would zip through his home work and go workout, or go jogging. He really wanted a weight bench, but I still couldn't afford to buy him one. I was advancing pretty well in my career, but still not quite there yet.

 One day Ryu came to me and said " Mom, I know you've worked hard to give me the things I want, but I want to get my own job and help out." I was speechless for a few minutes, then replied " If you really want to get a job, I don't mind, on two conditions: first, use the money you make for you, and second, you have to keep your grades up." "Thanks mom! I know just the job I want too."

Ryu ran right down to the book store and got a part-time job, with his first pay check he bought the weight bench he had his eye on, when he wasn't at school or work, he was either working out, or out with Carlotta, they seemed to be getting very serious, and I decided we needed to have a talk.



"Ryu" I started, "we need to have a chat about you and Carlotta" "MOM! we don't need to have that  talk again do we?" He was turning a bit red, "No, not that one. I just want you to be careful, I know you love her and want to marry her, but are you in any position to take care of a wife, or a family yet?" I could tell he was getting a bit mad. "What I do or don't do is my business, not yours. You can't tell me I'm too young to get serious, we graduate in a few months and I will be marrying the girl I love. You weren't much older than I am when you married my dad!" He shouted at me. "That's exactly why you need to wait, so you don't ruin your life like I did!" I shouted back, without thinking. "So I ruined your life, thanks mom." He stormed off upstairs and slammed the door. I just sat there, I couldn't believe I just said that.




Weeks past and Ryu barely said anything to me, when he did it was just one word answers. He was spending all hid free time with Carlotta, planning their future. With graduation fast approaching, I knew I needed to fix things with him, He wasn't going to college, as he had no clear path for what he wanted to do, I couldn't afford to pay for it, and he didn't get any scholarships, so he was going to stay here. "Ryu" I said as I walked into the kitchen where he was sitting. "I'm sorry for saying that you ruined my life, I was angry." "but you said it mom, so a part of you must feel that way." "well" I started."I guess it's just that I had my future planned, I did plan on having kids, but not until after I was well established in my career, and having you changed all that. But I do love you, and can't imagine my life without you. If you are serious about getting married, then you are welcome to live here till you can afford your own place" He stared at me for a moment, then gave be a big hug. " I love you so much mom, you have no idea how much this means to me."

 



4 comments:

  1. Marie is doing what is best. Ryu obviously loves this girl and she is giving them a start on their life together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yikes, what a fight. I doubt having him was a regret so much as the dad turning out to be such a loser was.
    young love! I personally am so thankful that I did NOT marry my high school sweet heart, but I know quite a few that did and are still happily married.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yep, marie didn't really regret having Ryu, he's the best thing in her life. She just regrets rushing into marriage, had she been older I don't think she would have ever married Bao.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow...that was a bad fight. Ryu is growing up and doesn't want to be told what to do and Marie only is trying to look out for him. That comment about her life being ruined young was bad. Really bad. :( She loves Ryu, that's easy to see and he knows it too, but hearing those words still hurt. I'm glad they made up though.

    ReplyDelete