Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Rebel 3.7

Getting ready for bed that night I just blurted out "I'm pregnant." Nathaniel stared at me for what seemed like forever before asking "are you sure?" I told him I had taken a test that morning and most definitely sure. He was mad that I had waited so long to tell him,"you know I didn't want kids yet, I just didn't want to admit it" Well, we'll make it work, can I get you anything?" he asked "Well since you asked, I have a craving for some mint chocolate chip ice-cream" I answered. "I'm on it!" With that he headed out the door.


While waiting for Nathaniel to come back from the store, I lay down on the bed and the next thing I know it was morning. I rolled over to snuggle next to Nathaniel, but his side of the bed was cold and empty. I got up and went into the kitchen to see if he was already up, but the house was empty. I tried his cell, it went straight to voicemail. Now I was getting worried, where was he? Maybe he was at work already. Yeah, that's it. He's at work, and I'll see him when he gets home tonight. As the day wore on, I got more and more anxious. When he didn't come home that evening I called the police to see if they had any information. They  didn't. I was told I couldn't file a missing persons report until Nathaniel had been missing for 48 hours. The next few days were awful, I called dad to tell him what had happened, he wanted to get on the next plane and come here, but I told him I would be fine, they could wait and come later as had been planned. Four days after Nathaniel went missing I got a call.
"Hello?"
"May I speak to Miss Laveau?"
"This is her, how may I help you?"
"This is officer Kent with the Starlight Shores PD, I'm calling in regards to Nathaniel Wright, we found his motorcycle off highway 54 mangled along with another vehicle. I'm sorry ma'am, but it appears that he was killed in the accident......."
At those words I stopped listening. He couldn't be dead, he just couldn't.
"Ma'am? Are you there?" the voice on the phone caught my attention. 
"yes?" I whispered
"I'm going to hang up now, if you need anything, please don't hesitate to call, we'll help in any way we can."
"okay" I mumbled as I hung up the phone. I blindly stumbled towards my room and lay down on the bed. As soon as I smelled Nathaniel's scent on the pillow I lost it, I cried until I had nothing left to cry.


I spent the next few months in a daze, spending most of my time sleeping. Dad, Shirley, and Melina came for a visit around my seventh month, it was nice to see them, glad that my baby would have some family, even if  they never got to know their father. They stayed a few weeks, though Melina wanted to stay longer to help me out, but I insisted I was okay. I really was, well I was getting there anyway. Shirley swore I was having a boy, but Melina swore I was having a girl, only time would tell.





I woke up in the middle of the night one night a month later with a sharp pain in my back and soaked sheets, as I got out of bed I was hid with another stab of pain, my baby was on it's way.

                                      
I hurried as fast as an almost nine month pregnant woman can out the door and into the cab I had called. The cab sped to the hospital as fast as it could.


When I got there I was quickly checked in and ushered into a room. Nine hours later when the doctor came to check on me for the umpteenth time , he said I was ready. The nurses helped re-position me and and I proceeded to push. A short time later I welcomed my son into the world. Tanner Nathaniel Leveau. Just as I started to relax, ready to hold my son, I felt another contraction, the doctor and nurses scrambled just as unprepared for a second baby as I was. Just as quickly as before I had my second child, my baby girl. Berlin Grace Leveau. I was shocked, I wasn't expecting twins, the ultrasound only showed one baby. I was kept in the hospital the rest of the day, and released the next morning. I took my beautiful babies home, watching them sleep in their crib, I wished Nathaniel was here with me.

3 comments:

  1. Wow...I can't believe it took them days to figure out he'd been killed. :( It's good her family was there for her. Congrats on the twins.

    ReplyDelete
  2. how awful for her!

    twins! I love that double crib

    ReplyDelete