Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Rebel 3.8

Life as a single mom was hard, but a single mom of twins was even harder. I was able to take an extended leave of absence from work, to take care of the twins. I was off work for three months, then the money started to run low and I had no choice but to return to work. I was able to hire a local high school girl to babysit for me while I was at work. As soon as I would return home , I rushed into the nursery and snuggled my babies. I worked the minimum amount I could and still keep my job, so my progress was pretty much stalled. Once the kids were older, I planned to work more, but for now they were my priority. I considered moving back home so my family could help me raise the twins, but I knew there was no opportunities there for my career, so I stayed in Starlight Shores and did my best.


Soon it was the twins birthday, we had just a small family party, just the three of us. Berlin was the spitting image of her father, and Tanner took after my side. Seeing so much of Nathaniel in Berlin was hard, I missed him terribly. The twins were the best of friends, always playing together, dad had sent them a play table for their birthday, and they spent most of their time at it. I spent all my free time playing the guitar, I needed to master it in order to get the next promotion at work. I was currently a backup vocalist, working my way up to lead guitar. I didn't have much time to play however, as most of my time off was spent teaching my two rambunctious kiddos how to walk and talk. Berlin caught on much faster than Tanner did, though he was never far behind.






Birthdays came and went and before long the twins were school age, we had a small party, just the three of us again. I ordered pizza, and helped my kiddos blow out their candles one at a time.  I had gotten the promotion to lead guitarist just in time. I wanted my kids to have the best education, so I enrolled them in Chesterworth private school, the most prestigious private school in Starlight Shores. I also remodeled the house a bit, so the kids both had their own rooms, Berlin wanted the most pink and girly decor I've ever seen. Tanner went with a sports theme, perfect for a boy. I had my eye on this new house that was being built right on the beach, but it was way out of my price range.











 I encouraged the kids to pick a hobby, Berlin picked art, in that she took after me, and Tanner chose astronomy, so I got him a telescope. He would have stayed out all night if I let him. "Tanner! Time to come in, bed time!" I hollered out the door. "Awww, mom! Five more minutes, please!" he begged, but I was firm, "Sorry, you have school in the morning, time to come in." "okay.." he sighed as he came in side.  I got up the next morning early to make waffles, I wasn't the best cook, I definitely did not inherit that ability from Granny, but I did my best and the waffles came out perfect. After scarfing down their breakfast, they went and got dressed, private school meant uniforms, which they looked so cute in. Once dressed they hurried out the door to catch the bus. "Bye mom!" the shouted as they ran past me. "Bye guys, have a good day!" I waved at them till they were out of site. Going back in side, I realized how quiet it was. I got out my guitar and started to play. I had an audition for a new band, but wasn't completely confident in my ability to play, I was still having trouble with one section of the song. When it was time for me to head out, I left a note for the kids. Homework first, tv second. Love ya, mom. I wouldn't be home till after they were in bed.






The next morning as we ate breakfast, I had sushi, Tanner had soup, and Berlin had PB&J. Tanner asked me how the audition went, "I played my best, but they chose someone else this time." "Oh" he said "I was..Ouch!, never mind" I looked from Tanner to Berlin, knowing that she had kicked her brother under the table. "What did you want to ask, Tanner?" He looked from Berlin, who was shaking her head no, back to me. " I..we..um..wanted to go to the Fall Festival this weekend, but if didn't get the job, Berlin says we can't afford to go." I looked from Tanner to Berlin, "Actually" I started, " I have been putting money aside just for an occasion such as this, Saturday we will go." Tanner was happy, finishing his food with a smile on his face. Berlin just looked at me skeptically, shrugged and went back to her food. She was mature beyond her years, and knew full well that between the tuition for their school and the house payment, there wasn't much left at all, and didn't want her brother to ask for things she knew I couldn't afford. After they left for school, I sat down and went over the finances, after everything was paid, there was barely any left, I thought being a rock star would have me rolling in money, but I never realized how long and hard you had to work to get there. I was determined to nail the next audition that came my way, for my kids sake. Even though it would use up what little I had, I was taking my kids to the fall festival this weekend, and we would have fun.










No comments:

Post a Comment